Quarter marking horses is the way that marks are brushed or combed into the horse’s coat. They are generally used as final finishing touches to present a horse or pony to perfection in the show or competition arena. To create perfect quarter marks, takes lots of practice to give a sharp, and well-defined finish. By choosing the right size and type of quarter marks can enhance and distract the eye from confirmation issues too.
If you are showing your horse or pony in a particular class or event, it’s worth watching the professionals and other exhibitors. They make it look easy and although lots of practice will make for a good finish, there are techniques that will help too, as well as grooming products and brushes designed to achieve the best result.
Depending on the look and class that you are going to be taking part in, the following products are total must haves for your Quarter Marking Kit:
- We suggest the Smart Grooming Combs in either standard or narrow size, to give the chequer square look.
- The Smart Grooming Hunter Comb for putting in the long, wide lines or V on the quarters.
- The Smart Grooming Quarter Mark brush – densely packed with short stiff hair for crisp lines when creating Sharks teeth.
- Smart Grooming Quarter Marking Gel – for prepping the coat, getting more definition when marks are added.
- Damp Sponge
- Smart Grooming Super Shine - for enhancing the shine on the coat and dampening the coat.
- Quarter Mark Spray – for the final spray to fix and hold the quarter marks in place all day